Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
Lima Memorial’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Center offers acute rehabilitation for individuals who need intense therapy following a hospital admission to prepare patients for a safe return to home. This includes individuals who have experienced a stroke, head or spinal cord injuries, or other neurological conditions; recent amputation from trauma or illness; orthopaedic injury or condition; or other debilitating illness. Patients with multiple sclerosis, Guillain-Barre syndrome and Parkinson's disease following a hospital admission may also benefit from the services offered through our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center.
What is Acute Rehabilitation?
Acute rehabilitation is an intensive form of medical rehabilitation that takes place in an inpatient setting. Patients receive three or more hours of core therapies per day, consisting of physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy. In acute rehabilitation settings, patients are cared for by a multidisciplinary team of clinicians from a wide variety of medical fields.
Transforming Lives Throughout the Region
Through community support, the Lima Memorial Foundation raised $2.5 million to completely transform the way inpatient rehabilitation is delivered to our region. In November 2020, Lima Memorial welcomed its first of many patients into the new center. Physicians, therapists, nurses and former patients and their families provided valuable input to create this state-of-the-art center for our region.
Take a 3D Tour of our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center!
Features and services within the new center include:
- Individualized rehabilitation treatment plans
- Weekly team meetings to evaluate progress and set discharge goals
- Spacious, private rooms designed to look and feel more like home
- Real-life practice of daily activities and skill assessment
- Family training to prepare for home
- Café designed to simulate dining experiences
- Tran-sit Car Transfer Simulator to practice car transfer skills in safety and comfort
- Workbench / garage setting to focus on dexterity, fine motor skills and problem-solving tasks
- Hairstyling salon
- Fully equipped kitchen to practice activities essential to daily well-being
- Living area designed with home in mind
- Computer workstation to bridge technology with functionality
The activity hub of the center is the therapy gymnasium, fully equipped with a wide range of technology only found at Lima Memorial. Lima Memorial’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Center is the only center in the region to offer three main pieces of equipment to our patients. These include:
- The Zero-G Dynamic Body Weight Support System, designed to support up to 90% of a patient’s body weight using a robotic device. The Zero-G promotes strength training, balance and ambulation at the earliest possible point in recovering while completing dynamic activities.
- The Barihab Platform Table, which provides unparalleled safety for the patient and clinician that in turn reduces anxiety for both participants during therapy. With the Barihab’s built-in electronic hi-low treatment platform, backrest, seat lift and parallel bar conversion, the patient is never dependent on the therapist.
- The Bioness Integrated Therapy System (BITS), intended to challenge and assess the visual, cognitive, motor and balance abilities of individuals, including those with deficits resulting from traumatic injuries and movement disorders.
Interdisciplinary Approach to Care
A specialized interdisciplinary team will work with patients to develop a treatment plan and set individualized goals to help achieve personal successes that will maximize their independence.
Your team will include:
- a physiatrist for rehab management
- hospitalist for medical management
- an admissions coordinator
- rehabilitation trained nurses
- a social worker and care coordinator
- physical, occupational and speech therapists
- a dietician and pharmacist
Additional services may include respiratory therapists, chaplain services, audiology, cardiology and other specialty services as needed for your well-being.
Team conferences are held weekly. During this meeting, your interdisciplinary team discusses your progress. The medical director and care coordinator will discuss the results of these meetings with you and your family directly following the meeting.
Our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center is accredited by The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). CARF is considered the gold standard and premier accrediting body for rehabilitation programs.
Transition to Discharge
Our care team will work with patients and their family / support system to help make important decisions about discharge as well as help prepare for anticipated needs. If required, referrals to outpatient services can also be arranged.
For more information on Lima Memorial’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Center or for questions about the admissions process, call 419-998-4543 or fax to 419-221-6144. Please note, all acute inpatient rehabilitation services require a physician referral.