Protecting the health and safety of our patients, associates and community remains our highest priority. Lima Memorial is working with state and local health officials to closely monitor COVID-19 developments. Learn More.
A local play, organized by the Pastors’ Union, was the first fundraising effort to raise money to build a hospital in Lima. This event yielded $372.82.
By the end of the year, the Lima Hospital Society was formed. The society held meetings, adopted bylaws and elected officers to lead the movement to build a community hospital.
On November 27, society trustees purchased the Overmyer property on the corner of East Market and Scott streets for $3,635. Renovations began to turn the two-story brick home into a hospital.
On January 15, the society trustees appointed a Board of Lady Managers, later known as the Auxiliary, to continue fundraising efforts.
On April 1, the Lima City Hospital opened at the corner of East Market and Scott streets near the Ottawa River, the present site of Lima Senior High School. The new facility provided 13 beds: $7 per week for a non-private room and $10 per week for a private room. According to hospital records, 107 patients were admitted during the first year.
On March 8, the building committee began developing plans for a new building. The Board of Lady Managers contributed $700 to start a building fund. In September, a two-story wing was added to the hospital. The addition boasted seven deluxe patient rooms with bathtubs.
The medical teaching staff, comprised of six consulting and eight visiting doctors, was formed.
On January 1, the School of Nursing opened with four students. The first graduation ceremony was April 29, 1904.
In October, 15 members formed the nurses’ alumnae. They strove to model themselves after Florence Nightingale, credited with giving the world the idea of scientific nursing.
The hospital grew to 55 patient beds, and 596 patients were admitted in 1908. Patients were required to pay in advance and the average length of stay was 17 days.
On July 14, Lima’s first soldiers marched off to war. A few months later, four nursing graduates of Lima City Hospital enlisted with the Red Cross to serve in WWI. The number of WWI injured soldiers increased and there was a need for a larger hospital.
The hospital renovated and increased its capacity to care for 90 patients. The space was necessary for the treatment of returning WWI veterans.
On May 15, the Lima City Hospital went to the City Council to petition for submission of a bond proposal to the voters of Lima for the construction of a new hospital. It was proposed that the new hospital be named Lima Memorial as a tribute to soldiers, sailors and marines of all wars.
Lima City Hospital purchased land to build a new hospital in the 1001 block of Bellefontaine Avenue, previous site of the Lima Driving Park and Stables.
In August, more than 5,000 on-lookers watched as the cornerstone of the new facility was laid. The new hospital opened nine months later.
On May 25, Lima City Hospital officially closed to new patients and the new hospital opened on Memorial Day. Named Lima Memorial Hospital in honor of Allen County residents who served in the armed forces, the new facility was five stories tall with the capacity to care for 144 patients.
Improvements to the hospital included a three-story, T-shaped wing added to provide additional space for recovering WWII servicemen. The addition increased the capacity to 250 beds.
Another addition added two complete emergency rooms, a lounge for shock victims, a 30-bed maternity ward with a formula room and an isolation nursery.
The hospital’s School of Nursing expanded, increasing its student capacity to 130.
The north wing was completed. This was the last yellow-brown brick construction at the hospital.
The Women’s Auxiliary was renamed the Lima Memorial Auxiliary. The first male volunteer joined in 1964.
Lima Memorial was one of four hospitals in Ohio to add an intensive care unit (ICU).
After opening in 1902, the Lima Memorial School of Nursing celebrated the graduation of the 1,000th nurse, Cheryl Cotner, RN.
Ground broke for a $7.9 million modernization project.
The helicopter pad was added to send and receive patients in need of critical care.
The first part of a five-phase expansion was completed, adding a new lobby and three floors.
Lima Memorial School of Nursing closed after seven decades and more than 1,165 graduated nurses. Lima Memorial partnered with local colleges to continue to impact healthcare education.
Lima Memorial Hospital launched the first Mobile Meals program in west central Ohio. Hospital volunteers delivered hot, nutritious meals to the homebound. The program ended in 2012, after 41 years of service.
The patient tower expanded to five stories, boasting seven additional coronary beds and six new intensive care beds.
Lima Memorial was the first hospital in west central Ohio to offer CAT scans.
Lima Memorial launched the region’s first sports medicine center.
Lima Memorial continued to grow. In May, three additional floors were added to the patient tower, for a total of eight stories. New services – including outpatient surgery, cardiac cath lab and an arthritis program – were being offered.
Lima Memorial established the region’s first Women’s Health Center, which focused on breast care and mammography. The center was one of the first in the nation to be accredited by the American College of Radiology.
A three-month nurses’ strike impacted health care in the region.
The Lima Memorial Foundation was founded to help support and aid with philanthropic donations.
Labor, birth and bonding – all in one room. Families were encouraged to participate in the birthing process.
On April 22, the region’s first open-heart surgery was performed at Lima Memorial.
Lima Memorial partnered with the Lima Family YMCA to create a comprehensive wellness center.
In 1999, Lima Memorial Hospital celebrated 100 years of providing high-quality and innovative care to the Lima community.
On March 1, Lima Memorial became an affiliate of ProMedica Health System – a locally owned, nonprofit healthcare organization that serves northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan. Lima Memorial Hospital became Lima Memorial Health System.
On January 2, the new state-of-the-art Medical Park opened on the west side of Lima. The facility housed cancer and women’s health services.
In March, Lima Memorial opened a new Level II Trauma Center. The three-story structure connected to the patient tower and included a Fast Track unit and more than 30 rooms.
The Timmermeister Family Surgery Center was completed and featured an additional 24,000 square feet and six fully equipped surgical suites.
On July 11, the Lima Memorial School of Nursing building was demolished. The building had been used as administrative office space since the School of Nursing closed in 1971.
In November, Lima Memorial opened a new Heart and Vascular Institute dedicated to providing the best heart care in the region. The space above the new Emergency Center was transformed into a CVICU and CCU.
Lima Memorial opened the Putnam County Health and Diagnostic Center in Ottawa.
In May, Lima Memorial Health System welcomed the Heart Institute of Northwest Ohio (HINO) to the family.
In July, Lima Memorial launched the We Honor Veterans program. The program’s mission is to recognize every patient who is a veteran with a certificate of recognition, a symbolic door marker and an American flag to display at his or her bedside.
On November 1, Lima Memorial Health System took the next step in sharing the LMHS story and brand with the community. Lima Memorial went green from the inside out with exterior signs, parking lot banners and more than 1,500 feet of green LED lights.
On November 8, the Emergency Physicians of Northwest Ohio (EPNO) – board-certified emergency physicians, pediatric emergency physicians and advanced practice providers – joined Lima Memorial Emergency Center.