Sports and Exercise Injuries & Prevention
Sports medicine deals with physical fitness and the treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports and exercise. Our certified athletic trainers work with, Lima Memorial Hospital’s physical therapy department and the Wellness Center at the YMCA. Frequently, they are the trainers you see at athletic events, responsible for assessing on-field injuries and emergencies, and making decisions on the sidelines about a player’s condition or need for treatment.
Sports injuries and emergencies may include:
- Muscle cramps
- Ankle, knee and other sprains
- ACL / MCL, meniscus injuries
- Shin splints
- Heat exhaustion or dehydration
- MRSA wound infections
- Sudden cardiac death
Our sports medicine services include:
- Injury prevention and post-injury rehabilitation
- Sport equipment fitting and maintenance
- Protective/supportive techniques that allow the athlete to regain a physically active lifestyle
Conditions our certified athletic trainers assist with include:
- Concussion – Caused by severe head trauma where the brain moves violently within the skull so that brain cells all fire at once, much like a seizure.
- Muscle Cramps – A sudden tight, intense pain caused by a muscle locked in spasm. A muscle cramp also can be an involuntary and forcibly contracted muscle that does not relax.
- ACL Sprains – The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is aligament involved in knee stabilization. An ACL rupture can occur when the foot is planted and the knee twists to change direction.
- Ankle Sprain – The ligaments that hold the ankle bones in place can easily be overstretched.
- Shin Splints – The tissue that attaches the muscles of your lower leg to the shin bone may be pulling away from the bone, or it may be inflamed from overuse.
To learn more about Sports Medicine, call the Lima Memorial Wellness Center at 419-226-5075.