Finerenone (By mouth)
Lowers the risk of serious kidney and heart problems in patients with chronic kidney disease caused by type 2 diabetes.
KerendiaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to finerenone, or if you have adrenal problems.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- If you are unable to swallow the tablet, you may crush and mix it with water or soft foods, including applesauce.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you are also using efavirenz, itraconazole, or rifampicin.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how finerenone works. Tell your doctor if you are using amiodarone, erythromycin, or potassium supplements.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or if you have liver disease.
- Do not breastfeed during treatment with this medicine and for at least 1 day after the last dose.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, and muscle twitching
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips, uneven heartbeat, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/6/2023