Bacitracin/polymyxin B sulfate (On the skin)
Bacitracin Zinc (bas-i-TRAY-sin zink), Polymyxin B Sulfate (pol-ee-MIX-in B SUL-fate)
Prevents infections caused by minor cuts, scrapes, and burns.
Double Antibiotic Ointment, Polysporin, Simply NeosporinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to bacitracin or polymyxin B.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Clean your wound before you apply this medicine. Apply a small amount to the wound 1 to 3 times each day.
- Do not use this medicine in your eyes or over large areas of your body. Do not use it for longer than 7 days unless directed by your doctor.
- You may cover the treated area with a bandage.
- Missed dose:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine is for use only on minor cuts or burns. Do not use it on an animal bite, deep or puncture wound, or a serious burn.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021