Cysteine (By injection)
Used to meet the nutritional requirements of newborn babies requiring total parenteral nutrition (TPN), and in adult and children with severe liver disease who may have impaired enzymatic processes and require TPN. Also used to provide a more complete profile of amino acids for protein synthesis.
ElcysThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you or your child had an allergic reaction to cysteine or any amino acids, or if you or your child have an inborn error for amino acid metabolism, acidosis, or lung problems (including pulmonary edema).
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine is added to your or your baby's TPN bag. After mixing, it is given through a needle placed in one of your or your baby's veins.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you or your child have kidney disease, liver problems, heart disease, gallstones, or electrolyte imbalance.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Pulmonary embolism caused by the precipitates found in the TPN, infusion set, or catheter
- Vein damage or clot
- Liver problems
- Aluminum toxicity
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Warmth, redness, pain, swelling, or lump at the infusion site
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021