Pimavanserin (By mouth)
Treats hallucinations and delusions caused by Parkinson disease psychosis.
NuplazidThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Most people are able to take this medicine without serious problems. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how pimavanserin works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, chlorpromazine, clarithromycin, gatifloxacin, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, moxifloxacin, phenytoin, rifampin, St John's wort, thioridazine, or ziprasidone
- Medicine to treat heart rhythm problems (including amiodarone, disopyramide, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or a history of heart rhythm problems.
- This medicine may cause QT prolongation (abnormal heart rhythms).
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fainting, dizziness, or lightheadedness
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Abnormal dreams, confusion
- Nausea, constipation
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018