Ciprofloxacin (Into the ear)
Treats outer ear infections. This medicine is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.
CetraxalThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to ciprofloxacin or similar medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- A doctor or other healthcare professional will give Otiprio® into your ear.
- Use this medicine only in your ear.
- Hold the solution container in your hands for at least 1 minute to warm the solution. Cold drops could make you dizzy.
- Twist the top of the container off and throw it away.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. For a child, gently pull the child's earlobe down and back to straighten the child's ear canal. For an adult, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into the ear. Keep the ear tilted up for a few minutes or put a cotton ball into your ear.
- The solution comes in small containers that are only used one time. Throw the empty container away after you use the medicine.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep your ears clean and dry while you are using this medicine. Do not go swimming unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Changes in hearing
- Severe pain or tenderness in your ear
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild stinging, itching, or discomfort in your ear
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/16/2021