Levocetirizine (By mouth)
Treats symptoms of hay fever, hives, and itching skin.
Allergy Relief, Children's Xyzal Allergy 24HR, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Allergy Relief, Leader 24HR Allergy Relief, Xyzal Allergy 24HRThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to levocetirizine or cetirizine, or if you have end-stage kidney disease or receiving hemodialysis treatment.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed. This medicine is usually taken in the evening.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Oral liquid: Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Tablet: Swallow it whole. If you need a lower dose, your doctor may tell you to break the tablet in half.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how levocetirizine works. Tell your doctor if you are using ritonavir or theophylline.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, spinal cord lesions, an enlarged prostate, or trouble urinating.
- This medicine may make you tired or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate, painful urination
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, vomiting
- Dry mouth
- Tiredness, sleepiness, drowsiness, weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/21/2022