Benzocaine/menthol (By mouth)
Benzocaine (BEN-zoe-kane), Menthol (MEN-thol)
Temporarily relieves sore throat or mouth pain. This medicine is an oral anesthetic.
Cepacol, Cepacol Instamax, Cepacol Sore Throat, Chloraseptic, Good Sense Sore Throat, Leader Sore Throat, Sore Throat Lozenges, Sore Throat w/Benzocaine, The Medicine Shoppe Sore Throat LozengesThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to benzocaine, menthol, or other anesthetics.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Allow the lozenge to dissolve slowly in your mouth.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Increased irritation, pain, or redness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Rash or swelling
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021