Dexmedetomidine (By injection)
Keeps you asleep during surgery or other medical procedures.
Dexmedetomidine HCl, Dexmedetomidine HCl Novaplus, Precedex, PremierPro Rx Dexmedetomidine HClThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A healthcare professional will give you this medicine before your surgery or medical procedure. You will not take this medicine yourself.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, heart disease, high or low blood pressure, or liver disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Nervousness, agitation, headache
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/6/2022