Acetylcysteine (By injection)
Helps prevent liver damage caused by an overdose of acetaminophen.
Acetadote, Acetylcysteine Novaplus, PremierPro Rx AcetylcysteineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to acetylcysteine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- This medicine works best when given as soon as possible after the overdose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have asthma or other breathing problems.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, or upper chest
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea or vomiting
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/6/2020