Antibiotic/Anti-inflammatory combinations (Into the ear)
Treats infections of the ear canal, minor swelling of the ear, and other ear problems.
Cipro HC, Ciprodex, Cortisporin, Cortisporin TC, OtovelThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any antibiotic medicines or to steroids such as cortisone, hydrocortisone, or prednisone.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often.
- Wash your hands.
- Warm the drops by holding the bottle in your hands for a few minutes.
- Shake the suspension well before using.
- Never touch the dropper to your ear or anything else.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into the ear.
- Keep the ear tilted up for a few minutes or insert a cotton plug into the ear.
- Wash your hands again so as not to spread the infection.
If a dose is missed:
- Use as soon as possible except when it is close to the time for your next dose.
- If almost time for next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular dosing schedule.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store in a tightly closed container at room temperature and away from direct light.
- Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have a history of ear problems or a perforated ear drum.
- If you have herpes simplex or chicken pox, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- If your symptoms do not get better in one week or become worse, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash, redness, swelling or intense itching that develops after you start using this medicine.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stinging or burning of the ear
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/16/2021