Olmesartan (By mouth)
Olmesartan Medoxomil (ol-me-SAR-tan me-DOX-oh-mil)
Treats high blood pressure. This medicine is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB).
BenicarThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to olmesartan, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Oral liquid: Shake it well before each use. Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Store the oral liquid in the refrigerator. Throw away any unused medicine after 4 weeks.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with aliskiren if you have diabetes or kidney problems.
- Some medicines can affect how olmesartan works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- ACE inhibitor blood pressure medicine
- Diuretic (water pill)
- NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (including aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
- If you also use colesevelam, take it at least 4 hours after you take olmesartan.
- Ask your doctor before you use medicines, supplements, or salt substitutes that contain potassium.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart failure, or low potassium or sodium in the blood.
- This medicine may cause severe chronic diarrhea with weight loss. This could occur months to years after you start taking this medicine.
- This medicine could lower your blood pressure too much, especially when you first use it or if you are dehydrated. Stand or sit up slowly if you feel lightheaded or dizzy.
- Drink plenty of fluids if you exercise, sweat more than usual, or have diarrhea or vomiting while you are using this medicine.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, bloody or cloudy urine
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Severe diarrhea with weight loss
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022