Caffeine citrate (By mouth)
Caffeine Citrate (KAF-een SIT-rate)
Treats breathing problems in premature babies.
Caffeine Citrate NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Your child should not receive this medicine if he had an allergic reaction to caffeine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your child's doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to give and how often to give it. Do not give more medicine or give it more often than directed.
- Each vial is for one use only. Throw away any leftover medicine after you have given the proper dose to your child.
- Measure the medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Missed dose: Give your child a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your child's next dose, wait until then to give the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Do not use the medicine if it has changed color or has anything floating in it. Throw the vial away and get a fresh one. Call your child's doctor or pharmacist for replacement instructions.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your child's doctor if your child is also taking cimetidine, ketoconazole, phenobarbital, phenytoin, or theophylline, or if the child's mother consumed any caffeine within a few hours before giving birth.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your child's doctor about any seizures, kidney problems, liver problems, blood sugar problems, or heart problems your child has had.
- If your child continues to have breathing problems after receiving this medicine, call his doctor for instructions. Do not give more medicine.
- Your child's blood will need to be checked at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Never give this medicine to a child it was not prescribed for.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Bloated stomach, blood in the stools, feeding problems, yellow vomit, low body temperature
- Decrease or increase in the number of wet diapers in a day
- Fast heartbeat
- Unusual body or muscle movements
- Unusual trouble sleeping, eating less than normal, irritability
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Fussiness, restlessness, or excessive crying
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021