Tamsulosin (By mouth)
Tamsulosin Hydrochloride (tam-SOO-loe-sin hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate).
FlomaxThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to tamsulosin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take this medicine 30 minutes after the same meal each day. Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, chew, or open it.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. If you forget to take this medicine for several days in a row, talk to your doctor before you start taking it again.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how tamsulosin works. Tell your doctor if you are using another alpha blocker medicine, cimetidine, erythromycin, ketoconazole, paroxetine, terbinafine, warfarin, or medicine for erectile dysfunction.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, low blood pressure, prostate cancer, or an allergy to sulfa drugs.
- Tell your doctor if you plan to have cataract or glaucoma surgery. This medicine may cause eye problems during surgery.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or lightheaded. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you. Stand or sit up slowly if you feel dizzy.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Painful, prolonged erection of your penis
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Problems with ejaculation
- Runny or stuffy nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/16/2021