Fexofenadine (By mouth)
Treats hay fever symptoms and chronic skin hives and itching.
Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allergy 24Hr, Allergy Relief, Children's Allegra Allergy, Children's Allergy Fexofenadine HCl, Children's Allergy Relief, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Allergy, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Allergy Relief, Good Sense Aller-Ease, Leader 12HR Allergy Relief, Leader 24HR Allergy Relief, Leader Aller-Ease, Quality Choice Allergy Relief, TopCare 24-Hour Fexofenadine HydrochlorideThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to fexofenadine or terfenadine.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Liquid, Tablet, Dissolving Tablet, Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- It is best to take the tablet with water.
- Shake the oral liquid well before using. Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Take the oral disintegrating tablet on an empty stomach.
- Make sure your hands are dry before you handle the disintegrating tablet. Peel back the foil from the blister pack, then remove the tablet. Do not push the tablet through the foil. Place the tablet in your mouth. After it has melted, swallow or take a drink of water. Do not chew or break the tablet.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines and foods can affect how fexofenadine works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- If you use an antacid that contains aluminum or magnesium, take it at least 15 minutes before or after you take fexofenadine.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit, orange, or apple juice while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or a condition called phenylketonuria (PKU).
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or doing anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/6/2023