Dapsone (By mouth)
Treats leprosy and dermatitis herpetiformis. This medicine is a sulfone antibiotic.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not use it if you had an allergic reaction to dapsone or other sulfa drugs.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how dapsone works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have anemia or other blood problems, liver disease, or a G6PD deficiency.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Aplastic anemia and other severe blood problems
- Liver problems
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fever, sore throat
- Pinpoint red or purple spots on your skin
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 2/4/2020