Flavoxate (By mouth)
Treats muscle spasms of the bladder. Relieves painful and difficult urination, relieves pubic area pain, and frequent urination.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to flavoxate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Take this medicine exactly as your doctor ordered.
- It is best to take your medicine on an empty stomach. However, it may be taken with milk or food to avoid stomach upset.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have a bleeding disorder, glaucoma, enlarged prostate, or intestinal or urinary tract blockage.
- Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Flavoxate may make you dizzy or drowsy, be careful if you drive a car or operate machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Skin rash, severe itching or hives
- Red and warm skin
- Fever or sore throat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness, drowsiness
- Eye(s) sensitive to bright light
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth or throat
- Nausea and vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018