Pseudoephedrine (By mouth)
Treats stuffy nose and sinuses.
12 Hour Decongestant, 12-Hour Cold Relief, Children's Sudafed, Congestion, Contac 12-Hour, Genaphed, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Nasal Decongestant, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Suphedrin, Good Neighbor Suphedrine Children's, Good Sense 12 Hour Decongestant, Good Sense Nasal Decongestant, Health Mart Nasal Decongestant, Kodet Se, Nasal Decongestant, NexafedThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to pseudoephedrine. Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Capsule, Capsule, Long Acting Tablet, Tablet, Liquid, Chewable Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription. If this medicine makes you feel restless, avoid taking it at bedtime.
- Swallow the capsule or tablet whole. Do not crush, chew, or break.
- The chewable tablet must be chewed completely before you swallow it. Do not swallow it whole.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use pseudoephedrine with cocaine or monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (Parnate®, Marplan®, Eldepryl®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before using if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate, or an overactive thyroid.
- You should not use this medicine for more than 7 days unless ordered by a doctor.
- If you do not get better after using this medicine for 7 days, or if you have a fever, talk to your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Very fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Wheezing or shortness of breath
- Convulsions (seizures)
- Severe restlessness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nervousness or dizziness
- Trouble sleeping
- Nausea or upset stomach
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018