Possible Interactions with: Milk Thistle
Milk thistle; Silybum marianum; St. Mary's thistle
If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use milk thistle without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- Antipsychotics -- includes butyrophenones (such as haloperidol) and phenothiazines (such as chlorpromazine, fluphenazine, and promethazine)
- Phenytoin -- a medication used for seizures
- Halothane -- a medication used during general anesthesia
Milk thistle may interfere with the following medications, because both milk thistle and these medications are broken down by the same liver enzymes:
- Allergy drugs -- such as fexofenadine (Allegra)
- Drugs for high cholesterol -- such as lovastatin (Mevacor, Altocor)
- Anti-anxiety drugs -- including alprazolam (Xanax), diazepam (Valium), and lorazepam (Ativan)
- Antiplatelet and anticoagulant drugs (blood thinners) -- including clopidogrel (Plavix) and warfarin (Coumadin)
- Some cancer drugs
Review Date: 6/13/2007
Reviewed By: Steven D. Ehrlich, N.M.D., private practice specializing in complementary and alternative medicine, Phoenix, AZ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.