Trifluridine/tipiracil (By mouth)
Tipiracil (tye-PIR-a-sil), Trifluridine (trye-FLURE-i-deen)
Treats cancer of the colon or rectum.
LonsurfThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to trifluridine or tipiracil, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Medicines used to treat cancer are very strong and can have many side effects. Before receiving this medicine, make sure you understand all the risks and benefits. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor during your treatment.
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take this medicine within 1 hour after morning and evening meals.
- Wear gloves when handling this medicine. Wash your hands after handling the tablets.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. If you do not store the tablets in the original bottle, then you should throw away any unused tablets after 30 days.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- This medicine may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant. Use effective birth control. Male patients should use condoms during treatment and for 3 months after the last dose of this medicine.
- Do not breastfeed while using this medicine and for 1 day after your last dose.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Decreased appetite, change in the way food tastes
- Hair loss
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Last Updated: 1/4/2018