Ferric pyrophosphate citrate (Not applicable)
Ferric Pyrophosphate Citrate (FER-ik pye-roe-FOS-fate SI-trate)
Corrects iron loss in patients with kidney disease who are on dialysis.
TrifericThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to ferric pyrophosphate citrate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A doctor or other healthcare professional will give you this medicine in a dialysis clinic or hospital. This medicine is added to the dialysis solution.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Use effective birth control during treatment and for at least 2 weeks after your last dose.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you had an allergic reaction to injectable iron products.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2018