Empagliflozin (By mouth)
Treats type 2 diabetes. Also lowers risk of death in patients with type 2 diabetes and heart or blood vessel problems.
JardianceThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to empagliflozin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you. This medicine is usually taken in the morning.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
- Some medicines can affect how empagliflozin works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Insulin or another diabetes medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver problems, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, or a history of pancreas problems or genital yeast or urinary tract infections. Tell your doctor if you are on a low-salt diet or if you drink alcohol.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Low blood pressure
- Ketoacidosis (high ketones and acid in the blood)
- Low blood sugar
- Kidney problems
- Increased risk of genital yeast or urinary tract infections
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, bloody or cloudy urine, painful or difficult urination, lower back or side pain
- Increased hunger, confusion, shaking, trembling, sweating
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Trouble breathing, tiredness, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, itching, pain, or swelling of the penis, bad-smelling discharge from the penis
- White or yellow vaginal discharge, vaginal itching or odor
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Last Updated: 3/4/2018