Posaconazole (By injection)
Treats or prevents fungus infections.
NoxafilThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to posaconazole or similar medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
- Do not use this medicine together with atorvastatin, lovastatin, pimozide, quinidine, simvastatin, sirolimus, ergotamine, or dihydroergotamine.
- Some medicines can affect how posaconazole works. Tell your doctor if you are using cimetidine, cyclosporine, digoxin, esomeprazole, glipizide, metoclopramide, phenytoin, rifabutin, tacrolimus, vinblastine, vincristine, medicine for HIV/AIDS (atazanavir, efavirenz, fosamprenavir, ritonavir), a sedative medicine (alprazolam, midazolam, triazolam), or blood pressure medicine (diltiazem, felodipine, nicardipine, nifedipine, verapamil).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or heart rhythm problems (such as QT prolongation).
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Heart rhythm problems
- Liver problems
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fast, slow, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Severe diarrhea or vomiting
- Swelling in your arms or legs
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Decreased appetite
- Fever or chills
- Mild diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Last Updated: 1/4/2018