Flutemetamol F 18 (By injection)
Flutemetamol F 18 (floo-te-MET-a-mol F 18)
Given just before a PET scan (positron emission tomography) to help diagnose Alzheimer disease and other cognitive problems.
VizamylThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to flutemetamol F 18 or polysorbate 80.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- Drink plenty of water or other fluids before and after you have the PET scan. Urinate right away and as often as possible for 24 hours after you receive this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- You will be exposed to radiation while you receive this medicine. If you have any questions about this, talk to your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018