Interferon Alfa-n3 (By injection)
Interferon Alfa-n3 (in-ter-FEER-on AL-fa-n3 )
Treats genital warts.
Alferon NThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to alfa interferon products, mouse immunoglobulin, egg protein, or neomycin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given as a shot into the area of the warts.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. Keep all appointments. Call your doctor right away if you miss an appointment.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, COPD, myelosuppression, or a history of seizures. Tell your doctor if you have angina, heart failure, or a history of blood clots, bleeding problems (such as hemophilia), or circulation problems.
- This medicine is made from donated human blood. All donated blood is tested for certain viruses. Although your risk for getting a virus from the medicine is very low, talk with your doctor if you have concerns.
- This medicine will not protect you from HIV/AIDS or other sexually transmitted infections.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness or tiredness
- Fever or chills
- Pain in your muscles, joints, or back
- Redness, pain, or itching where the medicine was given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018