Famotidine (By injection)
Treats stomach ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and conditions that cause the stomach to produce too much stomach acid. Also treats or prevents heartburn caused by acid indigestion. This medicine is given to people who cannot take famotidine by mouth.
PremierPro Rx FamotidineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to famotidine or to similar medicines such as ranitidine (Zantac®), cimetidine (Tagamet®), or nizatidine (Axid®).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This IV form of famotidine is not for long-term use. Your doctor might have you switch to famotidine that you take by mouth (Pepcid®) as soon as you are able.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have kidney disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat.
- Skin or eyes turn yellow.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, constipation, nausea, or vomiting.
- Headache or dizziness.
- Joint or muscle pain.
- Pain or swelling at your injection site.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018