Ezetimibe (By mouth)
Lowers high cholesterol levels.
ZetiaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to ezetimibe.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- If you also use cholestyramine, take it at least 2 hours after or 4 hours before you take ezetimibe.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with a statin medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease.
- Some medicines can affect how ezetimibe works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- A blood thinner, such as warfarin
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, kidney disease, or thyroid problems.
- This medicine may cause myopathy or rhabdomyolysis, which are serious muscle problems.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018