Pentosan polysulfate sodium (By mouth)
Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium (PEN-toe-san pol-ee-SUL-fate SOE-dee-um)
Relieves bladder pain caused by interstitial cystitis.
ElmironThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to pentosan polysulfate or a related medicine, such as heparin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take the medicine with water at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal (unless your doctor tells you differently).
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you also take warfarin, heparin, or NSAIDs (such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, or celecoxib). These medicines may increase the risk of bleeding problems when taken with pentosan polysulfate.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, any bleeding problems such as hemophilia, or stomach ulcers, polyps, or diverticulitis.
- This medicine is a weak anticoagulant (blood thinner), so you may bruise more easily or bleed longer if you are injured.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you are taking this medicine before you have any surgery or dental work.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bleeding from your gums or nose
- Bloody or black bowel movements
- Purple spots on your skin
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Hair loss
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2018