Dornase alfa (By breathing)
Dornase Alfa (DOR-nase AL-fa)
Treats cystic fibrosis.
PulmozymeThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to dornase alfa.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Use your medicine as directed.
- You will use this medicine with an inhaler device called a nebulizer. The nebulizer turns the medicine into a fine mist that you breathe in through your mouth and to your lungs. Your caregiver will show you how to use your nebulizer.
- Do not mix any other medicine in the nebulizer with dornase alfa.
- This medicine comes in single-dose ampules (vials). Once an ampule has been opened, you must use all of the medicine in it. Do not save an opened ampule for later use.
- Missed dose: Use your medicine as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and use a regular dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in the refrigerator in its foil pouch and protect it from direct light. Do not freeze. Do not leave the medicine at room temperature for more than 24 hours.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Cough, runny nose, sore throat
- Voice changes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/4/2018